The Twenty-Ninth Testimony is a 2021 American science-fiction thriller film developed by Shatara Studios and Temple Hill Entertainment and distributed by Summit Entertainment on June 25, 2021. The film is directed by Ridley Scott who wrote the screenplay based on Kenneth Branagh and Richard Shepard's script, which is loosely based on the 1874 novel Annals of the Twenty-Ninth Century by Andrew Blair.
In a future age where humans have successfully inhabited other planets and ridden the starways to exploring other solar systems in the universe, a lone gunslinger recounts secrets from his past in order to combat against opposing forces lurking from within the covenant.
- Benicio del Toro as Diogenes Milton; a feeble scholar who is the tenth President of the World-Republic who was taunt by his grandfather Parry Franlin
- Viggo Mortensen as Stephenson Watt; a friend and partner of Diogenes' who works with him in aeronautics testing after saving his life from an assassination attempt.
- Mark Hamill as Cervantes Smith; Diogenes Milton's professor who taught him in wit and humor who acts as a father figure.
- Sam Neill as Parry Franklin; the former Governor of Greenland and Diogenes Milton's grandfather who taunt him in political natures and scholarly writings.
- The film is based on the novel Annals of the Twenty-Ninth Century: or, The Autobiography of the Tenth President of the World-Republic which was published in 1874 anonymously by Andrew Blair and, despite being known little of, is an influence on works of the old sword and planet genre which was a basis of such works as the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burrouhs (the author of Tarzan) which acts as a precursor to modern science fantasy productions such as Star Wars and Flash Gordon, a comic strip character influential in the design of iconic modern day superheroes such as Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man.