The film was developed by Warner Animation Group, The LEGO Group and Trail Blazer Studios, and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is a part of The LEGO Movie franchise and was released on September 7, 2018, internationally and on September 14, 2018, in the United States.
Two sequels, The LEGO Blazer Movie 2: Broken Dimensions and The LEGO Blazer Movie 3, are scheduled to be released in September 2021 and September 2024, respectively, while two spin-off films, The LEGO Shado Movie and The Brick Resistance, are scheduled to be released in February 2022 and September 2022, respectively. A promotional short film, The Long Trail, was released in December 2018 in the home video releases of the film.
On a journey throughout the Wikiverse, Trail Blazer, a recent outcast from his home town, has stumbled upon the LMMCU, a land where anyone can create (almost) anything their imagination provides them with. There, our hero befriends its residents but is exiled after setting free a dastardly evil force. Trail sets out on a mission to unite the LMMCU and stop the evil that he unleashed with Lord Blox before he fulfills his goal to insert viruses throughout the Wikiverse causing all of it to become corrupt, while Trail learns to become a better person on his journey of self-reflection.
- Trail Blazer: A mutant with the power to control fire and heat, which allows him to shoot fire, fly in a "Burst Mode", and be immune to heat and burns, who is a newcomer to the LMMCU after being outcasted from his home town, and is the cause for accidentally releasing Lord Blox from his imprisonment. Trail has a bit of a temper which coincides with bursts of fiery rage, but he often keeps his cool unless provoked. Trail befriends multiple people on his journey to right his wrongs to save the Wikiverse. Trail is based on the LMMCU Wiki user and the film's creator, Trailblazer101.
- Morph: A mutant with the power to stretch and shape his body into (almost) anything and is skilled with super strength. Morph takes some situations a bit seriously and doesn't always see through people when they are joking or lying. Morph becomes one of Trail's earliest friends and is revealed to be from Trail's original town. Morph is based on one of the creator's friends from real life.
- Blizzard: A mutant with the power to control ice and cold through his own powered exosuit that he reverse-engineered from a Mørk battle suit. Blizzard's powers are the polar-opposites of Trail's own powers and he often uses them to keep him cooled down. Blizzard is a skilled genius in the fields of science and engineering and uses his skills to build mass contraptions out of the weirdest sorts of LEGO bricks. Blizzard becomes one of Trail's earliest friends and is revealed to be from Trail's original town, alongside Morph. Blizzard is based on one of the creator's friends from real life.
- Miles "Marty" McCoy: A mutant with the power to control the properties of any type of metal using his own metal gauntlets. Miles is the profound founder and leader of the LMMCU and believes in trusting everyone that visits it, especially those in need. With his trusting in others, Miles has a hard time seeing through those with darker intentions, and can sometimes be easily manipulated and tricked. Miles is based on the real LMMCU Wiki founder and user, MilesRS677.
- Shade Narwhalton: A mutant with the power to control water physics, which allows him to summon massive waves and swim with immense speed, and can communicate with the sea creatures. Shade is often seen as a gentleman and studies those with mental therapy. Shade is the ruler of the Kingdom of Atlantis and uses his people skills to maintain a strong lead over his kingdom. Shade is based on the real LMMCU Wiki user, ShadeTheNarwhal.
- GameTime: A mutant with the power to create works of art and technology out of the LEGO bricks surround him. GameTime is a very creative-minded individual who likes to joke around a lot, but sometimes his jokes get the better of himself. Despite that, GameTime finds ways to bring new-light on tough situations to lighten the mood of his fellow Wikiers. GameTime is based on the real LMMCU Wiki user, RealGameTime.
- Jet: A mutant with the power to control the earth around him to grant himself with immense strength. Jet is a noble leader of the LMMCU and serves as it's co-leader alongside Miles. Jet is a skilled captain in aerodynamics and is able to see through the most complex and trickiest situations to determine the likely answers and outcomes, which he uses to strategize thorough plans for the rest of the LMMCU team. Jet is based on the real LMMCU Wiki user, Searingjet.
- Skylander Lord III: A mutant with the power to change his appearance into any creature at will. Sky is a caring individual who has gone through a troubling past but finds ways to keep his spirit lifted high into the sky. Sky uses his care for others and a positive attitude to bring hope to the LMMCU team, even in their darkest hour of need. Sky is the ruler of the Sky Lands, where he takes care of a wide variety of specialized creatures. Sky is based on the real LMMCU Wiki user, Skylanderlord3.
- Red Shogun: A mutant with the power to unleash unbridled bursts of rage all at once, or at given times to build up his rage. Red is a skilled samurai warrior who was trained in the art of Spinjitzu. Red uses his built-up rage to empower his motivational attacks against Lord Blox's Mørk army. Despite his rage, Red can be seen as an innocent person at times, but often has a hard time seeing far from his own well-being. Red is based on the real LMMCU Wiki user, Red Shogun.
- iNinja: A mutant with the power to absorb and create energy. iNinja is a kind person who keeps a bit to himself, often hiding away to play video games rather than to train. iNinja is a skilled ninja and a trainee of Red's and uses his ninja skills to sometimes hide away from others to mind his own business, but is more of a caring person. iNinja is based on the real LMMCU Wiki user, iNinjago.
- Trigger: A mutant with the power to trigger himself and those around him into becoming very angry, with his anger allowing him to transform into a gremlin. Trigger is often misunderstood for his capabilities and can be quite calm and peaceful, and has a wide range of skills and creativity that he uses to help the LMMCU team. Trigger is based on the real LMMCU Wiki user, Trigger Happy the Gremlin.
- Pixel Fox: A mutant with the power to shoot lasers from his 3D gaming glasses which cause a pixelated effect. Pixel is easily tempered at times but manages to get passed it by seeing things through his own view. Pixel often finds his views to be the key to solve certain situations, and even takes the situation into his own hands when he sees fit. Pixel is based on the LMMCU Wiki user, PixelFox666.
- Inferno Kill Z: A mutant with agility-based powers and is a skilled sports player. Inferno responds to things quite literally and often sees a different view of the truth than others. Inferno uses his sports skills to act well in fighting and to coordinate strategic plans for the LMMCU team. Inferno is based on the Discord user and one of the creator's friends from real life, InfernoKillZ.
- Dimensional Paradox: A mutant with the power to control dimensional rifts and can use them to travel between dimensions. Paradox is a kind person who has an enormous sense of humor but takes things a bit too far. Paradox traveled from his own dimension to warn the LMMCU team about a looming threat in the film's post-credits scene. Paradox is based on the LMMCU Wiki Discord user, Dimensional Paradox.
- Jimbo Wales: A person who is the creator and ruler of the Wikiverse and has powers to create anything with his own hands by Master Building. Jimbo believes that all people deserve a chance to prove who they really are and helps the LMMCU team in indirectly defeating Lord Blox despite his publicized views on the capabilities and restrictions of mutants. Jimbo is based on the real Wikimedia Foundation founder Jimmy Wales, who has a cameo as himself in the film.
- Shado: A mutant with the power to control shadows and darkness which are generated from dark energy that originated from The Shadow Realm. Shado is the general of Lord Blox's Mørk army and is a master tactician, marksman, and an assassin. Shado believes that aiding in Lord Blox's takeover of the Wikiverse will allow him to prove himself as a noble warrior to gain a high rank in the prophesied new world. Shado is based on an original concept for the character that was created by Red Shogun before he joined the LMMCU Wiki.
- Lord Blox: A person who was corrupted by the powers of the Dark Rift and gained control of The Shadow Realm and its' Mørk civilization which he used to form his own army to conquer the rest of the Wikiverse from his former ally and friend, Jimbo Wales. Blox believes that since he was wrongfully betrayed and forgotten about by his former colleagues, he deserves his right to make the Wikiverse run under a fit leader and wants to control the whole Wikiverse in his vision. Blox is voiced by Gary Oldman.
To be added
Two sequels, The LEGO Blazer Movie 2: Broken Dimensions and The LEGO Blazer Movie 3, are in development and are scheduled to be released in September 2021 and September 2024, respectively. Broken Dimensions will be centered on Trail Blazer and his allies as they reunite to stop a new enemy, Riftaar, from creating a dimensional outbreak, while it will also feature more characters based on LMMCU community members, more original characters, and characters from other films in The LEGO Movie franchise. The LEGO Blazer Movie 3 will be centered on a more character-driven story involving a new personal threat against Trail and the consequences of his own actions from the previous films.
Two spin-off films, The LEGO Shado Movie and The Brick Resistance, are in development and are scheduled to be released in February 2022 and September 2022, respectively. The LEGO Shado Movie will be set before the events of The LEGO Blazer Movie and will be centered on the character Shado and his origin in becoming the general of Lord Blox's Mørk army. The Brick Resistance will be set after the events of The LEGO Blazer Movie and will be centered on the duo Morph and Blizzard, establishing both characters' origins while focusing on them forming a new resistance against Riftaar. A third spin-off film centered on original characters featured in Broken Dimensions is also in development.
A promotional short film, The Long Trail, was included in the home video releases of The LEGO Blazer Movie which released in December 2018. The short film is set before the events of the film and establishes mysterious connections between Trail Blazer, Jimbo Wales, and Lord Blox that were previously cut from The LEGO Blazer Movie.
- The film is influenced by other LEGO products including The LEGO Movie and Ninjago, and by other LMMCU Wiki user projects including The GameTime Movie and Vesperal Comics. It is also influenced by parts of the creator's own personal life story in terms of storytelling, themes, and some plot details.
- The film is dedicated to Trail's real-life friend, Duren, who passed away in January 2018 due to an asthma attack.