The Fall of Arthur is an upcoming 2019 medieval fantasy adventure film loosely based on the unfinished poem of the same name written by J. R. R. Tolkien. The film was directed, written, and produced by Trailblazer101, and composed by Richard Shepard.
The film was developed by Trail Blazer Studios and distributed by Paramount Pictures. It is the first film installment in the Arthurian Universe and will be released in the United Kingdom on November 15th, 2019, and in the United States on November 22nd, 2019.
Two sequels, The Fall of Arthur: The Dark Age and an untitled third film, are scheduled to be released in November of 2021 and November of 2023, respectively, while two spin-off films, Gawain and the Green Knight and Merlin, are scheduled to be released in June of 2021 and February of 2023, respectively.
Follow the classic Arthurian legend from J. R. R. Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur in a new light as King Arthur Pendragon (Michael Fassbender) is faced with his most crucial decisions, while his right and nobility as king are challenged for the greater good of his kingdom by the evil Mordred (Aidan Turner), who defies all prophecies of the King's own fallout of control and heightens tensions across the land.
- Michael Fassbender as King Arthur Pendragon
- Chris Pine as Sir Lancelot
- Colin Farrell as Sir Gawain
- Kate Winslet as Guinevere
- Colin Firth as King Uther Pendragon
- Jamie Bell as Sir Percival
- Jack O'Connell as Sir Kay
- Ansel Elgort as Sir Bedivere
- Saoirse Ronan as Orcades
- Ewan McGregor as Flavius Aetius
- Hugh Grant as Lot
- Aidan Turner as Mordred
- Morgan Freeman as Merlin (narrator and cameo)
- Sienna Miller as Morgana (silhouette; mid-credits scene)
Two sequels, The Fall of Arthur: The Dark Age and an untitled third film, are in development and are scheduled to be released in November of 2021 and November of 2023, respectively. The Dark Age will be set a few years after The Fall of Arthur and will be centered on King Arthur Pendragon and his allies as they fight a war against the newly freed Morgana to prevent her from fulfilling the prophecy to spread her darkness and reign over their kingdom, while the third film in the series will be centered on a final confrontation of the war between opposing forces of the pure good and total darkness of the land. A second trilogy of films focusing on Arthur fighting back against his downbringers is being planned.
Two spin-off films, Gawain and the Green Knight and Merlin, are in development and are scheduled to be released in June of 2021 and February of 2023, respectively. Gawain and the Green Knight will be centered on Sir Gawain as he pairs with the Knights of the Round Table to go on a journey to inevitably challenge and face off against the infamous Green Knight, while Merlin will be centered on the young Merlin as he works with King Uther Pendragon to hold back the forces of the dark sorcerer Gorlois and his desire to inevitably fulfill the ancient prophecy.
- The film serves as a loose adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's unfinished The Fall of Arthur poem due to it adapting elements of the Anglo-Saxon settlement of Britain, which were featured in the poem, while also incorporating Mordred in the film's plot.
- The film was influenced by The Lord of the Rings film series, The Chronicles of Narnia film series, and Thor.