Backfire is a 2020 American action science-fiction heist film developed by Shatara Studios and Regency Enterprises and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing in the U.S. and 20th Century Fox internationally.
When a meteor crash lands on Earth and is salvaged by scientists, a group of low-life criminals infiltrate their research facility, stealing pieces of the meteor to sell on the black market to pay a debt with a powerful crime syndicate that threatens them and everyone they care for.
- Joaquin Phoenix as Gerald "Richy" Richards
- Robert Kazinsky as William "Willy J." Jameson
- Alexander Skarsgard as John "Albion" Lorde
- Jeff Bridges as Dr. Buford Antonovich
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Ahmed Brimsmyer
- Alfred Molina as Angelo "Angel" Delmar
- Eileen Weisinger as Ellen Ramirez
- Garrett Noel as Noah Pratt
- Kevin Foster as James "Jim" Foster
- Amber Heard as Natalia Antonovich (brief flashbacks only)
- The film's working title during development was Meteor Shower.
Behind the Scenes
- Originally, Red Shogun planned on making a fanon version of Sony's Marvel Universe, which was set to contain a film based on the Spider-Man villain Looter / Meteor Man (Norton Fester). The shared universe was scrapped before being posted on the wiki, with the Looter film being reworked as a standalone superhero heist film similar to Marvel Studios' Ant-Man. The film was ultimately scrapped, but character elements and plot ideas were reworked into original concepts that were expanded on and ultimately became Backfire.